We left Salcombe at 4am to catch the morning tide on the approach to Start Point, joined by the Sky News team, for the first swim of the day.

It was much cooler weather than it seems the rest of the country is experiencing, so much so that I had a puffer jacket and beanie on as we pulled out into open ocean.

Diving in, I quickly warmed up and had a current building behind me, pushing me forwards. By the end of the first hour, I'd swum 4km. At an hour and a half, I was at 6km.

Our skipper, Stephen, stopped me just after the 6km point. Sky News wanted to film a live broadcast in the middle of the English Channel - in ten minutes' time. I powered on, thinking about what I was going to say.

Ten minutes later exactly, I was waved down by presenter Rebecca Williams, who - impressively - jumped right in next to me off the stern and started the interview. It was the first time I've ever given a live interview mid-swim!

With both presenter and swimmer treading water, it went surprisingly well, with no accidental sea-water swallowing.


After two minutes on camera, I was on my way again, managing 8km this morning for the first swim of the day.

The Sky News team stayed with us until lunchtime, with another live broadcast from the stern of Aquila. I spoke of my growing jellyfish paranoia, and the strain that constantly looking out for them is putting on my neck.

I drifted in and out of sleep all afternoon, getting up to eat a Cornish pasty, and then snoozing for another two hours. I'm finding it difficult to replace the calories I'm burning each day, so am sleeping for long stretches to try and compensate. I need to force myself to eat more.

When I woke again, the light was lower in the sky, our engine was revving, and I could hear our skipper Stephen's voice excitedly jumping.

We were nearing Start Point for my afternoon swim and his thoughts were on the strength of the current beneath us.

"The tide looks like a 5km an hour swim boss," he grinned from the corner of his mouth.

After wrestling every metre from reluctant currents over the past few days, this was the best news he could bring, and it lit the fire in me that had been dormant.

Stephen had calculated it perfectly. An hour after diving in, he told me I had swum precisely 5km (3.1 miles). By the end of the day, I'd covered 15.96km (9.9 miles) - the furthest in a single day so far.


I've now crossed the quarter-way point and have a buffer of nearly 5km (3.1 miles). I mean to swim at least half an English Channel crossing daily for the rest of the spring tides.

After a disappointing few days - I'm back.

I'll be rounding Start Point in the morning on a current colloquially known as The Race. It will whip me around with no forgiveness and I'm hungry to feel its power.

9.9 miles (15.96km)