After a restless night hearing the wind whip over my portholes, I got out of bed at 5am to see if Skipper thought it would be safe to swim this morning given the weather conditions.

Bleary eyed, he was already poring over the charts and forecast on the navigation table.

"It's a close call, boss," he said.

Not exactly the good news I was going for, especially with my shoulder.

Ultimately though, we're here to swim and so if there is any chance that we can get out then we should take it, especially in spring tides.

We settled on heading out to see what the swell was really like and make a decision based on our own observations of conditions.

A nervous hour of motoring began.

It became increasingly clear, though, that it was unswimmable. If the swells had been monstrous last night, they were worse now. We couldn't safely do this - it was time to be sensible.

Tails between our legs, we motored back to Swanage as the sun began to peak over the horizon. Maybe the weather would settle by the evening.

The crew spent the day catching up on sleep and Netflix, and exploring the cafés and shops of our home for the day, avoiding the violent bursts of rain. I even had time to get a haircut.

Skipper and I reconvened mid-afternoon. Things weren't any better than this morning, we couldn't swim. The day was a total write-off.

It was infuriating. I should have swum 15km today and I had done precisely zero. Conditions look questionable over the next few days too.

The whole point of the swim is to advocate for better protected oceans. To get this across, in the best way I know how, I need to be in the water, swimming.

For now though, at least it's a chance to rest my shoulder.

0 miles - Total 186.38miles (299.95km)