Time for an injury update.

This morning, my trainer Nicola and I paid a visit to the medical team at AFC Bournemouth.

The team were fantastic, seeing me immediately and giving my shoulders an ultrasound. The left was clearly much more inflamed than the right, with strong evidence of tendonitis along my bicep leading up to my shoulder.

The physiotherapist then gave me a sports massage to try and ease the pain. In the short term, it definitely hurt more - it was the hardest massage I've ever been given!

After two hours with the team, I came away with a treatment and medication plan to help get me through the last three weeks of the swim.

We are hoping to be able to link up with physiotherapists every four or five days along the coast as we get further east.

I am so grateful to AFC Bournemouth for patching me back together, I'm determined to get to Dover.

Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 07.30.24.png

I also want to take the opportunity to thank all of my well-wishers for their support on social media - I read every message you send me and they really do keep me going.

When we finally did make it back to the boat, it was time for some serious decision-making. We have been debating for a week whether to go through the Solent or around the south side of the Isle of Wight, which we are fast approaching.

We have been advised against swimming through the Solent in stronger and stronger terms, which was the original plan, because of the sheer heavy traffic through the waters.

Up until now, we had still been planning to swim along that route though, so that we could more easily access Bournemouth and Portsmouth.

Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 07.31.50.png

However, with my injury now needing regular treatment combined with the safety warnings, it was time to make a sensible judgement call - south of the Isle of Wight it was.

One of the unforeseen benefits of this, Skipper soon worked out, was that my route would be 30km shorter and there would potentially be stronger currents than through the Solent.

The Long Swim is now 530km, not 560km.

Tonight, the sea wasn't happy with me for it. A storm is building and it is going to hit tomorrow, when we are about to start going to two swims a day for the spring tides.

I managed my 10km, despite my shoulder, but had to battle against a swell so mountainous that it tore our drogue in half (we will be having a memorial service in the morning). My crew are exhausted and many have been seasick.

The question for tomorrow, is if this big storm will hit our morning swim, or the evening one.

6.4 miles (10.3km) - Total 186.38miles (299.95km)